Canaan Baptist Church is a member of the North American Baptist Conference. Shining brightly for 125 years from atop a hill in the Prairie Chapel Community near Crawford, Texas.
It was on October 25, 1891 that Canaan was officially organized with about 47 charter members. Before the charter meeting, Rev. F.J. Gleiss was dining at the home of Engelbrecht and noted the abundance of milk and honey on the table and suggested that the church be called Canaan since the Bible refers to Canaan as the land flowing with milk and honey.